Saturday 31 December 2011

Victorian Road Runners New Year's Eve Run - 8km around the Tan

Lena's cousin, Brian is here from France/Singapore for holidays and I have the pleasure of showing him around Point Cook with short runs around our area in the evenings. Oh, Angel also joined us for these running tours and so far, she has been able to keep up with us...

So when I found out that The Victorian Road Runners (VRR) has a New Year's Eve Run around the Tan, I asked Brian to join the run as a way to explore one of Melbourne's most popular running route, the Tan... This will also mark the last run of the year for me...

I had set my alarm for 5:30am this morning, but forgot that my phone was on silent... Luckily Lena woke me up at 6:10am (thanks babe, you are wonderful...). Brian and I were still able to have coffee and a bite before we head off to the Tan... As a result of the rush, I actually forgot to wear my Garmin FR610... Yes, what an idiot... I know... Good thing I can still use mapmyrun on my iphone to record my run...

So here it is, this morning's 8km (2 laps) run around the Tan at 7:30am... yes, that is 7:30am in the morning on New Year's eve...

The crowd slowing pouring in to the registration area...
Starting point at the Pearls of Wisdom... And no, we are not racing the Greyhounds...
Race Director's briefing before the start...

The famous (at least to the locals) Anderson Street hill... My camera angle did not do the hill justice...

Post run food across the Tan along Yarra River...

Croissants and champagne to fill the tummy...
Race Summary:
Cost: $16 (non VRR members) and this includes drinks, champagne (only after the race), and croissants with butter, jam, honey etc... yum yum...
Weather: Near perfect, 22 degrees with no wind with most part of the course shaded...
Course: 2 laps clockwise around the Royal Botanical Gardens aka the Tan... Yes, you do not need to enter a race to run the Tan... it is a public area...

I have no timing expectation for this run.. just wanna enjoy the last run for 2011... For the record, Brian (who is younger and used to compete in triathlons) finished in 40:56 and I finished in 41:50...

That's all for 2011... Until next year, wishing you all a very Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?