Saturday 16 July 2011

Gold Coast Marathon 2011 - Pre-Race Day

Sat 2 July 2011:
Lena dropped me off at the airport and I took the 7am Jetstar flight to Brisbane... Initially, we intend to take a week off so that we can join my brother (Collin) and his family for a week of holiday at the Gold Coast ("GC")... But as you all know, things has changed a little bit (for the better of course) and we decided that I will travel alone and hence booked myself to fly in Saturday morning and fly out Sunday evening after the race... Luckily I did not book Tiger as some of you may be aware, they were grounded due to some safety issues... phew...

When people asked me: "So whatz up for the weekend?". I told them: "Well, you know... nothing special... just gonna fly to Gold Coast on Saturday morning to meet my brother from Singapore, then do a marathon together on Sunday morning... then fly back to Melbourne Sunday evening..." It is quite funny to see the reactions that people have after they hear this...

My flight arrives in Brisbane domestic airport around 9.30am and I took the shuttle to the international airport... Their flight landed at 10am, perfect timing...

10.15am... streams of people started coming out... no sight of them...
10:30am... still no sight... maybe they needed more time as they are traveling with 2 kids...
10:45am... hmmm... don't tell me they got delayed by the customs... hmmm... think positive...
11:00am... Finally, here they are... Arrival

  I was so happy to see them, especially my 2 nieces...

After the meet and greet, we went to pick up the rental car... Took a while to sort out the rental car, but managed to fit everything in... Gold Coast here we come!!!

About one and a half hour later, we reached Surfers Paradise... Checked in to the hotel and headed off to Surfers Paradise Boulevard for a late lunch...Managed to find Coles (supermarket) and stock up on some food and drinks...

We then drove to the GC Convention and Exhibition Centre and collect our race kits... One very interesting about the GC marathon is that we can customise our race bib...

Watch out for the "CHEONGSTER"s!!! How cool is that?

Collin and I initially wanted to do a recce run from the hotel to the start point, which is about 5km return... But, we all had a long day... Collin has not slept well on the plane and I can see that he was tired... Hence we decided to not do the recce run and have an early dinner instead...

After dinner, Collin and I exchanged tips on running, injury prevention, muscle relaxation, etc... I showed him how to use a foam roller (which by the way, he has got one now and is hooked on it...) and he showed me how to use a trigger ball... By 9pm, everyone was on the bed either asleep, or trying to get so sleep... I was tossing and turning around for a while before I fall asleep... maybe its pre-race nerves, or maybe I am still overwhelmed by the fact that me and my brother are doing a marathon together...

Weather forecast for race day is low of 15 and top of 22, with occassional showers... Hopefully all will be good for race day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?